Celery Harvest in Nov…

Last week we pulled up the celery, approx..12 plants

Nov. 2013 002

they were big with lots of leaves..

Nov. 2013 001

since I do like to push the limit with some plants and not really knowing what to do with all of it, ha, ha……I decided to try transplanting a couple to a warm spot covering them with lots of mulch..

Nov. 2013 003

they are still looking good..

Nov. 2013 008

Now..what to do with all of the celery…hmmm …I’ve made more  pesto with the leaves,  saving some for smoothies..

Nov. 2013 009

chopped up a little for the freezer to use in stews, soups etc..

Nov. 2013 010

The heart of this celery is so sweet, unlike the stems…

Nov. 2013 011

I found an easy recipe for Cream Of Celery soup with out the cream…

Inspired by Jamie Oliver’s Cream Of Celery

Celery-1 head

Onions-1 large

Garlic- 1 clove

Sweat in a small amount of olive oil till tender, add seasonings and 1 Lt of Vegetable of Chicken Bouillon( I used low sodium)

Dried Dill-to taste ( I didn’t have parsley)

Pinch of cardamom ( I didn’t have Nutmeg)

Black Pepper to taste

simmer for approx. 15 min

Then I added a couple of tbsp. of Celery pesto

Nov. 2013 012

let cool..

Nov. 2013 013


Nov. 2013 015

Garnish with plain yogurt..

didn’t miss the cream at all 😉

we made several batches that are now in the freezer ..

Garlic…its time to get it planted…

Today is the day …this took a bit of prep last week. Crop rotation is a bit tricky at times , the bed I had planned to use for garlic was full of Swiss chard..

Nov. 2013 019

I was determined to stick with my plan for crop rotation..so I decided to try transplanting them, even though I’ve never tried this before. Have you??

Nov. 2013 015

So they went everywhere I could find room ..

Nov. 2013 016

They are still a bit droopy I hope they pick up…These are the left overs. If they recover I’ll see if my neighbours would like them or they’ll go in the front border..

Nov. 2013 018

Then.I really wanted to try testing the soil …

Nov. 2013 004

Here’s what I used : 1/2 c. vinegar to test if the soil is alkaline and 1/2 cup of baking soda mixed with distilled water, for acidity, the one that bubbles determines the soils condition

Nov. 2013 005

I just threw in a little scoop of soil, covered it with the liquids

Nov. 2013 006

the vinegar didn’t even bubble

Nov. 2013 007

the baking soda went crazy..tada…not really a surprise at all but it was fun to try

Nov. 2013 008

lime and wood ash was added to neutralize the soil..

Nov. 2013 009

Nov. 2013 010

the tiller was put to work

Nov. 2013 012

Garlic prepped-200 Russian Red bulbs and 6 Elephant Garlic

Nov. 2013 013

aren’t they huge!

Nov. 2013 014

each hole had some organic bone meal added ..

Nov. 2013 020

then the Mulch went on. I’m trying something new this year, leaves mixed with lawn clippings instead of straw. The straw I used this year became infested with black aphids…yuk..

Nov. 2013 022

To keep the mulch in place, black mesh netting was placed over the top and held in place with metal clips..Garlic planted. Check! 🙂