Today is the day …this took a bit of prep last week. Crop rotation is a bit tricky at times , the bed I had planned to use for garlic was full of Swiss chard..
I was determined to stick with my plan for crop rotation..so I decided to try transplanting them, even though I’ve never tried this before. Have you??
So they went everywhere I could find room ..
They are still a bit droopy I hope they pick up…These are the left overs. If they recover I’ll see if my neighbours would like them or they’ll go in the front border..
Then.I really wanted to try testing the soil …
Here’s what I used : 1/2 c. vinegar to test if the soil is alkaline and 1/2 cup of baking soda mixed with distilled water, for acidity, the one that bubbles determines the soils condition
I just threw in a little scoop of soil, covered it with the liquids
the vinegar didn’t even bubble
the baking soda went crazy..tada…not really a surprise at all but it was fun to try
lime and wood ash was added to neutralize the soil..
the tiller was put to work
Garlic prepped-200 Russian Red bulbs and 6 Elephant Garlic
aren’t they huge!
each hole had some organic bone meal added ..
then the Mulch went on. I’m trying something new this year, leaves mixed with lawn clippings instead of straw. The straw I used this year became infested with black aphids…yuk..
To keep the mulch in place, black mesh netting was placed over the top and held in place with metal clips..Garlic planted. Check! 🙂